ID and Access Services Frequently Asked Questions
How do I renew my ASIC?

The process for applying for a new ASIC and renewing an ASIC are the same. More information can be found here.

How long does it take for a background check to be completed?

Application forms are sent to the Australian Government’s AusCheck service and processing times can vary for each application. Visit AusCheck for more information.

Given the time required to undertake background checks, we strongly recommended that all applicants submit forms with relevant proof of identity documents to Sydney Airport ID and Access Services as early as possible to ensure you have access when you require it.

Generally, it takes between two and eight weeks for your background check to be completed, but sometimes it can take longer depending on the circumstances.

Can I submit a police certificate from another country if it is not in English?

No. All police certificates must be translated in English. More information can be found here.

Can I provide a certified copy of my identification to support my ASIC application?

All identification provided must be original and verifiable at the time of application lodgement. More information can be found here.

Will I be required to sit a test?

You will be requied to sit a security awareness test for most applications. More information can be found here.

Do I have to make an appointment for the test?

You are not required to book an appointment for your test. There is also an option to complete testing online. More information can be found here.

If I have submitted my application and sat and passed the Security Awareness test, do I have to re-sit the test when I collect my card?

No, you are not required to re-sit the test if you have already passed the requirements when your application was lodged.

Can I keep the same photo as last time?

No. A new photo must be taken every time you are issued with a new ASIC. This is a government requirement.

Am I required to update my ASIC details if I change my address or my name?

Yes. If you change your address or name, you must notify the issuing authority for your ASIC. It is an aviation offence if you do not update your details. You could also be fined by the Office of Transport Security. More information can be found here.

Do I have to return my ASIC once it has expired or is no longer required (e.g. if I leave my job at the airport)?

You must return your ASIC either in person or via mail to the issuing authority or penalties can apply. More information can be found here.

What happens if my ASIC or VIC is lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed?

You must advise appropriate parties immediately or penalties can apply. Information can be found here.

How do I apply for a Visitor Identification Card (VIC)?

Visitor pass can be applied as standalone, Multiday or EVIC. More information can be found here.